Table of Contents
If you have recently started the ketogenic diet, the question foremost on your mind, we are sure, is regarding Keto munchies: keto snacks that you can take to work or eat on the go without affecting ketosis. Most snacks available commercially are laden with carbs. This makes it even more important to keep several varieties of Keto friendly snacks at hand just in case you happen to get hungry between meals or wish to have something while watch TV etc.
In this guide, we will discuss 14 keto snacks that you can buy readily or easily make at home and take to work etc.
But first: a few basics:
How to choose Keto snacks?
Keto snacks should be nutritious, fat laden and devoid of carbs. The reason why you must opt for fatty snacks is so that you have more energy and your body remains in the state of Ketosis.
Some of the ideal keto friendly snacks that you can readily buy from grocery stores are:
- Blue Diamond® Almonds-Not only are these tasty, they are high in fat, protein and fiber. They also come in a wide variety of different flavors for you to try in case you want to take these Keto snacks to work but are bored with the same type. The best thing about this particular brand is that they are also readily available online in wholesale bags.
- Beef Jerky– Many brands of beef jerky are available and we like Old Wisconsin® the best.
- Cheese sticks and Slices– Nothing beats hunger as instantly as this keto snack. Couple of our favorite brands includes Frigo® Mozzarella sticks, Wish-Bone™ Buffalo Blue Cheese dressing, Cabot® Habanero Cheddar and Cabot® Pepper Jack Cheese. All these are high in protein and fat and mostly have 0g carbs.
- Quest® Bars– Go online to any Keto community and you’d see this item high up in the list of ideal Keto snacks, and rightly so since they contain 19g fiber to keep you full with just a small amount of carbohydrates in comparison. Monitor your ketosis with Keto ketone testing strip when eating Quest Bars, as some Ketogenic dieters have found that even small amounts of sugars contained in these Keto snacks can throw them out of Ketosis.
- Pork Rinds-These are pig skins fried in lard and if that won’t increase the fat content of an ideal keto friendly diet, we don’t know what else can. Frito-Lay® has a brand called Baken Ets® which may be sold under brand name Chicharrones®. These come in 2 flavors, Traditional and Hot and Spicy. (An insider tip: dip the pork rinds in sour cream cheese or guacamole or basil pesto to experience a slice of heaven.)
Now let us see some of the best Keto snacks you can make and take to work or even enjoy them at the movies:
Keto snacks for movies or on the go
- Vegetables with dip– Simply pack and take some full fat salad dressing with vegetables like cucumbers, peppers, celery sticks etc to work or the movies or while travelling. Ranch and Blue cheese dressing are your go-to Keto snack dips which can be had with a variety of veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, Asparagus, Mushrooms, Brussels’ Sprouts, Spaghetti Squash etc. These veggies are high in fiber and low in carbs.
- Avocados– Avocados have so many health benefits that we simply cannot enlist them all in a single article. Naturally, this nature’s gift to mankind also makes for an ideal Keto snack. Eat it in form of Guacamole or carry it to work paired with a boiled egg, or other veggies and you won’t go wrong.
- Hard boiled eggs and bacon– An ideal high protein and low carbohydrate snack, boiled eggs are ideal Keto snacks which can be had at any time of the day. Snack on them all day, every day, for weeks and try it out with some bacon for extra flavour.
- Fruits and berries– Not all fruits fit the Keto snacks list as many are high in sugar. An exception to this is berries. They are packed with fiber, antioxidants and vitamins and so good for you in a variety of ways.
- Ham and cheese rolled up in lettuce– make a sandwich and instead of bread, use lettuce leaves to wrap up Ham and cheese. Mmm mmm so good!
- Tuna-in-mayonnaise spread on Cucumber slices- This Keto friendly snack is self explanatory enough, we think.
- Stir fried nuts– Take almonds and macademia nuts and stir fry them in butter. Spread out on a tray and pop them in the oven until crunchy. Cool and pack in air tight containers- an ideal Keto snack on the go.
Easy Keto Snacks recipes with cream cheese
Keto dieters love cream cheese, so we thought we would leave you with a few recipes for Keto Snacks with Cream cheese:
Easy peasy Cream Cheese Keto snacks with Ham
Ingredients: Ham or turkey, cream cheese at room temperature and ¼ cup minced onion.
Method: Place ham or turkey slices in tissue paper to dry and reduce their moisture. Apply a layer of cream cheese on them and add the minced onion. Roll the slices and refrigerate these Keto snacks until they are hard enough to cut. Chop them up and store them in containers for snacking on the go. For variety, you can use Dijon Mustard, or add shallots and dried herbs, seasonings or other spices for flavor.
Keto Snacks Sweet
If you have a sweet tooth, try this low carb Keto snack sweet recipe which is also very easy to make and prepare ahead.
Ingredients: 1 container of cream cheese at room temperature, ½ cup heavy whipping cream, 5 packets of Stevia® or other sweetener, ½ tsp on lemon extract.
Method: With a hand blender, beat all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Spoon the mixture into different serving cups. Have this keto snack sweet when you are craving some sweetness.
We hope these easy Keto snacks recipes and lists help you satisfy hunger pangs without affecting your Ketosis. Do visit other resources provided on this site to learn more about other easy keto friendly foods for snacking.